I am a New Mexican…we LOVE green chile! We put it in and on every single thing we can! It is served in most restaurants in New Mexico from pizza parlor, to hamburger stand, to our county/state fair foods! It is everywhere you go all year. After moving to Texas I was sad to find out that green chile was hard to find and if you do find it, it is normally really mild. I LIKE MY FOOD HOT!!
Thankfully a few friends introduced me to Bountiful Baskets where I realized that during the summer months they have Hatch Green Chile included in their baskets and as an add on! I was thrilled when all my Texan friends gave me their extra green chile so I could bake them in the oven, sweat them in a paper bags, peel them, then freeze for all year long!
I’ll stop rambling and get to the point…IT’S GREEN CHILE TIME!!!! That means I have just ordered 25lbs from Bountiful Baskets and I plan to get to my roots and start making LOTS of New Mexican inspired dishes!
Here is the best part…I’m sharing those recipes here for you all. Some of these recipes are mine, some are family recipes, and some have been given to me by friends over the years. As I make the dishes I’ll come back through and add pictures for you all to drool over!
Green Chile Chicken Alfredo
- 2 Jars Alfredo Sauce
- 1 (diced 4oz) Can Green Chili
- 1 Small box Bowtie Noodles
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken OR 3 Chicken Breast (thawed)
Take rotisserie chicken off bone and cut into bite size pieces. OR cut chicken up into small pieces. Cook chicken breast in skillet on medium heat until done (20 to 25 min).
Add Alfredo sauce and green chili. Heat on medium heat until hot. Stir occasionally.
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 (10 oz) Cans Medium Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (10oz) Can Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 3 Frozen Chicken Breast or Rotisserie Chicken
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Corn Tortillas
Thaw chicken breast, cut up into small pieces, place in skillet and cook until done. (About 10 to 15 mins.)
Add enchilada sauce, heat on medium heat until hot. While sauce is heating – pour vegetable oil in small skillet. Heat oil on medium heat until water droplets make oil bubble. Cook tortillas- just put in the oil for a few seconds then pull out. Use tortillas to make stacked or rolled enchiladas and top with optional ingredients.
Overnight Brunch Eggs
- 1lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 TBS Flour
- 12oz. hot pork sausage
- 3 (4oz) cans whole or chopped green chile
- 1/2lb. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 12 Eggs
- 1Cup Milk
In a medium bowl, toss Monterey Jack and flour together. Sprinkle in the bottom of an ungreased 4 qt. oblong baking dish. In a medium skillet over medium high heat brown sausage; drain, crumble and set aside. Layer green chile on top of Monterey Jack. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the green chile. Top with sausage. Beat eggs and milk until well blended. Pour egg mixture over sausage. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes. Serves 10
Chile Relleno Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chile peppers, drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350*. In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine the ground beef and onions and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until browned; drain excess fat. Arrange 1 can of the chile peppers on the bottom of a 7×11 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese and top with the meat mixture. Sprinkle the meat mixture with the remaining cheese, followed by the next can of chile peppers. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, flour and milk, whisking until smooth. Pour this into the baking dish over the chile peppers. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting.
- 2 pkg Spanish rice mix
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (required for Spanish rice)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 cans green chilies, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c frozen corn
- 1 c chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
- Cholula hot sauce to taste (recommended)
Heat oven to 375. Spray 13X9 pan (can also prepare in large crock-pot). Prepare Spanish rice as directed on package. In large bowl, combine cooked rice, chicken, sour cream, chilies, half of the beans and half of the corn; mix well. Spread mixture evenly in sprayed dish. Top with remaining beans, corn, tomatoes and cheese. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 thawed chicken or 5 thawed chicken legs
- 6 cups water
- 6 Chicken flavor Bouillon cubes
- 2 cups instant rice (white or brown)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
Toppings: Sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, jalapenos or green chile.
Put thawed chicken, water, and bouillon cubes in crock pot, cook all day on low or high for 4 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
When chicken is fully cooked begin preparing instant rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking, tear chicken meat off the bones and place chicken in a large pot, add chicken flavored water from crock pot, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in rice. Serve with toppings if desired.
Green Chile Chicken Lasagna
- 1 Container ricotta cheese (cottage cheese can be substituted)
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10 oz. each) green enchilada sauce
- 2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chiles
- 1 package Oven ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 4 cups Shredded mozzarelly cheese (16 oz)
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese; set aside. In another medium bowl, mix chicken, sauce, and green chiles.
2. In ungreased 13×9 (3 quart) baking dish, spread 1 cup of the chicken mixture. Add lasagna noodles and top with ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers 3 times. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
3. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until lasagna is tender, cheese is bubbly and edges are lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Green Chile Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Package Frozen Tater Tots
- 1lb ground beef, thawed
- 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2Cup Water
- 1 Cup Cheese, grated
- 1 Cup chopped green chile
Bake Frozen Tater Tots as directed on package. Meanwhile brown ground beef in skillet, drain grease. Add mushroom soup and water; cook on low. Once tater tots are done add 1/2 of them to the soup/meat mixture ALSO add chopped green chile. Line a cake pan with foil, add soup/meat mixture to pan top with remaining half of tater tots and grated cheese. Bake at 350* for 15minutes until cheese is melted.